Seriously, this is the adventure of a lifetime, and there is no better way to see EVERYTHING then to hop in a car and drive!
Nothing is more exciting then hopping in a car and just driving. Roll the windows down and crank the tunes, and you've set the perfect mood for an extended road trip! The only thing better than a traditional road trip is one through and unknown country. Obviously you'll need to choose a country that has some gorgeous sights to see, and lot's of sunshine. Hello Australia!
Seeing this country by car will allow you to go where you want to go, and see what you want to see. You will spend less money on overpriced bus tours, and enjoy the privacy of sleeping where ever you get tired. Plus it saves so much hassle. You are truly in charge of what to do everyday. You will spend less time booking hostels, and stressing over catching the right bus, which means more time for adventure! We used Wicked Campers, but there's an endless amount of car rental companies including Hertz and Thrifty!
Keep reading to find a list or reasons why renting a car is the ultimate Australian journey.
1. Freedom. By renting a vehicle, you will have the freedom to stop anywhere you please! If you see something along the way that looks interesting, you can just stop by. If you discover a new place by talking to locals, you can choose to go there. You aren't bound by just picking a few popular places to see, you really can see and do it all on the open road.
A road trip is such a different kind of adventure. It's similar to backpacking because you'll be sort of 'roughing it' for the trip. But it's different from backpacking because you have more say in what to do and when to do it. Plus you tour yourself around. No more waiting for a bus to pick you up, no more paying for overcrowded tours.
2. Less stress. It's way less stressful to plan a trip when you know that you're renting a car. You don't have to worry about booking hotels, and being at one place or the other at a specific time. Don't feel like doing a full day of driving? No worries, rest up on the beach and continue the adventure tomorrow. Also, it's pretty nice knowing that you don't have to lug a giant backpack around with you everywhere you go.
TIP: Sketch out some loose plans, and leave lots of unscheduled time to just enjoy yourself and your surroundings. Plan to do one to two activities per day, this way you aren't rushing around from place to place, and you'll actually have more time to enjoy yourself.
You won't have to worry about you bag getting stolen, or cramming all your personal items in a locker for the day. Your car is safe, along with all your belongings, and that's good piece of mind!
3. Gold mine. Renting a car is going to save you cash. It's not cheap to travel around this massive country. A car is one of the most economical ways to travel because it saves you from needing to pay for places to sleep. The more people you have tagging along the cheaper it gets.
Plus, you save money on transportation too! I've mentioned this in other posts, but I'll say it again, planes and greyhound busses will get pretty expensive if you are relying on them as your main mode of transportation. Plus, it doesn't stop there you'll still have to figure out how to get around once you get off that bus.
Saving so much money will allow you to travel for an even longer amount of time, without completely draining the your savings account.
4. The Views. Travelling by car allows you to do more, and see more too. You will be able to learn more about Australia, and see more of the country too. Tours just don't cut it. With your own car, you have the power. You can pick and choose where to stop for lunch, and which lighthouse to check out along the way. See one of those tourist drives? Stop by and check it out!
You can literally drive up mountains to see Australia's most Easterly point. You can get up early to beat the crowd and have your breath taken away when you see the sunrise over the 12 Apostles. Plus, you'll never get tried of the red sands and ocean cliffs that will fill your journey.
5. Learning about yourself. You will learn an awful lot about yourself on this trip. You may discover a new found fear of the ocean, or that you don't do so well in the heat. You may discover that you are actually not as picky as you thought you were, or maybe you tried beets by accident and actually like them...Whatever it is, even if it's not obvious at first, you will most definitely learn a lot about yourself on this trip. That's the most rewarding part.
6. Bonding. This road trip will having bonding with your best mate(s) from day one. Yes, you will learn a lot about yourself on this journey, but you will also learn a lot about them too! There is no better way to make memories with your besties. You'll be sleeping side by side each night, holding towels up for each other to change, scouting out rest stops and maybe even getting lost together.
This trip is best to experience with another person. Choose your companion wisely and you'll be in for one heck of a journey!
7. Hidden Gems - You will be surprised about how many epic adventures you will hear about while on the open road. So many of these hidden gems won't be boasted about while planning your trip, but are definitely worth stopping by. Seriously, there are many places that I had never heard about until we were actually minutes away. Coastal walks and hikes are around every corner, but so are rugged cliffs and white sand beaches. These are all things you won't know about unless you rent a car!
Renting a car will give you freedom. It will also free up space in your wallet to experience things you may not have if cash was tight. -Snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef anyone?
Still not convinced? Check out this post outlining everything you need to know about road tripping through Australia!
Suggested Post: Australia on a budget.